Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Ancient mysteries and the Litho Lift

I have a deep fascination with the problems faced by ancient people in constructing their monuments. I know I'm not alone in this and it is a lucrative business these days with countless websites, television programmes and books all claiming to have cracked one of the ancient mysteries.

I stumbled upon another solution to the stonehange problem today (Stonehenge building riddle tackled). I love this solution, it is such a compelling machine; one of those solutions that seems obvious only when you've seen it. In some ways I wish I was the first person to have come up with this solution; and yet I know that it can not have been the way Stonehenge was actually built.

I would like to look at the Litho Lift initially from a pure engineering viewpoint. Looking at the scale model of the machine by simply taking moments it is clear that the force in the ropes are greater than the weight of the lintol stone itself. The inventor of the machine does propose a solution to this, by using counterweights to balance the load. To me, this is the start of the process of laying solutions on top of each other. You create a solution to a problem, it seems a nice solution so you decide to run with it. The only problem is that another problem is created. So you add some additional complication to your original solution to solve that second problem. That second solution then creates a third solution and so your original elegant solution ends up being surprisingly complicated.

Often, it is possible to have avoided the complex solution simply by picking different a different solution to begin with. The solution might not be as ingenious as the Litho Lift, but it would have been far easier to implement.

I have tried to put myself in the position of the people trying to build Stonehenge; I have no doubt these people were master craftsmen, with skills and knowedge often far exceeeding our own. I am not so sure that their ability to conceptually generate complex solutions to problems has reached our level of skill. Complexity and the tools used to manage it are features of the modern world , as are the tools and skills we have created to manage it.

I can not see the people building Stonehenge having used the Litho method to lift the lintols. To avoid creating a complex solution from scratch, large parts of the solution must have already been developed before Stonehenge was built. It is difficult to see how any of the individual parts of the machine would have benefited Neolithic man without the other parts. Of course I could be wrong, I am using essentilly the same argument against mans ingiuity that is used against natural selection evoving the eye.

My argument for not using the Litho Lift somehow does not appear to be as strong as my instinctive feeling that the Litho Lift is not the solution that was used. In the end, it is not my rational argument that sways the case. It is simply that I have moved one ton stones by hand as part of a team, and I have built large timber structures. I know how difficult it is creating a large timber structure and how simple it can be to move large loads with levers and brute force. I have no doubt that the people who built Stonehenge would have also gone for the simple solution - all they would have needed was patience and time, something which past generations have always demonstrated.

I am going to take it as my lesson for today. If I am going to try and develop an elegant solution, I must have experience of working with a problem. I must have an understanding of how much effort it actually takes to solve a problem with brute force and patience compared to inginuity and elegance. Sometimes the solution that involves the least work is not the right one.

No comments: